Wednesday, September 10, 2008

As a student nearing the end of her undergraduate career- and not welcoming the end with open arms, I feel as though this class will prove to be one of the most important in my academic career. As a double major in English communications and sociology, I’m sure I will find that the theories studied in class will be pertinent to both majors. When studying theory, whether it is Marxism or Feminist theory, it tells the reader a great deal about society in the time in which the theory was first developed. In some of my sociology courses, I’ve had the opportunity to explore many theories, but I was mainly analyzing them from a sociological perspective, I did little with analyzing the theories in terms of literature. This course will be an opportunity to study theory in terms of literature. I’m interested to look into the developing of literary theory and how it had an impact in universities and the academic world. In this course, I look forward to learning in more detail about Structuralism and Poststructuralism. Though engaging in those theories may prove to be a bit of an obstacle, I look forward to the challenge.

No comments: